1. First of all ensure that the bank is insured under FDIC at FDIC web site:
2. If it’s a credit union, make sure it’s NCUSIF insured. All credit unions that are NCUSIF insured can be found at ([http://www.ncua.gov/indexdata.html]).
3. Make sure the institution has a physical branch to ensure it is a legitimate financial institutions.
4. Do some background work on the bank. Do a WHOIS search to view the registrant for the banks domain name
5. Make sure the bank DOESN’T require you to use direct deposit in order to open the account.
6. Make sure the institution doesn’t charge you for common items like monthly statements, telephone services, and withdrawls.